I’m an advocate for architecture up-front and building components that are modular, robust and follow industry best practice. I believe in communicating closely with the creative team and take pride in delivering successful products that meet customer requirements.
“Cucumber would happily re-employ Josh as we consider him to be a valuable member of the team who developed many close relationships, delivered to expectations and consistently strived to improve.” - Carol Machaj, Cucumber Digital
I am keen to work with fun and passionate people, learn new skills and introduce efficiencies to the development phase. By reducing complexity and cutting out repetitive tasks, we can spend more time developing awesome products and have fun doing it!
The past two years have been a blast. Working with a passionate team to create quality products that delivered real benefit to enterprise-level customers such as Trustpower, Bayleys Real Estate and Comvita.
Cucumber also gave me the chance to develop in an Agile environment, which made a real positive impact to customer and team satisfaction and allowed me to develop with the customer’s intentions in mind.
- Introduced an automated front-end workflow using SASS, Node and GruntJS.
- Implemented a self-documenting style guide and component library to improve understanding between back and front end development teams.
- Regularly involved in innovative business events such as Tauranga Startup Weekend, attending Trustpower Mashup events as a technology mentor and building Cucumber Parking, a popular mobile app for booking car parks internally.
- Developed the front-end for a staff appraisal system for Kidicorp, the leader in early childhood education in NZ with over 250 centres using Knockout, Bootstrap and ASP.NET MVC.
- Reduced page load time on the Bluelab website by 70%.
New to the industry, I was motivated to show my passion for multimedia and design, quickly learning the ropes in a high pressure environment. Working in a small team, I was responsible for designing and building websites for hundreds of automotive dealers. Additionally, I built components for the company’s own CRM and Dealer Management System products and was regularly involved in the requirements gathering process.
- Promoted to Lead Web Designer in 2012
- Lead the design for an internal re-brand, delivering concept designs, promotional material and a new identity that reflected the company’s change in direction.
- Created a range of branded templates for Motor Trade Finance. Streamlining the build and deployment process to deliver MTF websites to around 400 car dealers.
During my final years in college, I committed all of my spare time to developing 2D animations and aspired towards a career in media design. Not long after, I decided to study IT until I could submit my portfolio. I quickly discovered study was a full-time commitment and focussed my energy into my new passion, programming.
Need resource for an upcoming project? Extending an existing product? I’d love to hear from you. I’m currently open to new experiences and working with exciting new people. So feel free to get in touch and we can work something out.